Monday, February 15, 2010

a little international connection...

One thing that I really get into is finding connections in beat building from around the globe. Like the first time I heard Bhang Ragga, the intersection of Dancehall and Bhangra, flawlessly executed by Tigerstyle and the like. From there I found Israeli Cumbia, Japanese Baile Funk, things have gotten insane.
The musical diaspora is one of my biggest influences in what I'm trying to do. I don't think there's a better example of what exactly the dissemination of international dance music has done to production than these two artists:


USA 808 rein from Tel Aviv and create an intense fusion of Dancehall, Crunk, House and Bass. You might have heard them a few months back on the Mad Decent blog when their track She A Boom!. Their stuff is really well put together. Peep this track, which is not the track from the video.
USA 808 - אוהבת סקס


The next track comes from an obvious favorite of mine from Sweden. Maskinen have been an obsession of mine for the last 2 years. Their manic multicultural smorgasbord production keeps evolving and getting weirder. I see a big similarity between Maskinen and USA 808 in their (very often creepy) dark vocal production. Again, I'm not sharing the track from the video.
Maskinen - Nr 1

Basically, I really only give a shit about stuff that's not from America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers